Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program - SNAP
SNAP is the new name for the Federal Food Stamp Program. It is designed to help low-income individuals and families supplement their income to purchase better quality and more nutritious food. If you are having trouble with every day food expenses, consider applying for SNAP benefits - It's a SNAP!
SNAP Outreach Coordinatorr: Janey Gauani
Phone: 302-734-1200 ext. 174 or 302-943-5154
What can be bought with SNAP benefits?
Households can use SNAP benefits to buy:
- Foods for the household to eat such as: Breads and cereals, fruits and vegetables, eats, fish, poultry, and dairy products.
- Seeds and plants which produce food for the household to eat.
- Soft drinks, candy, cookies, snack crackers and ice cream are food items and are, therefore, eligible items.
- In some areas, restaurants can be authorized to accept SNAP benefits from qualified homeless, elderly or disabled people in exchange for low-cost meals.
Households cannot use SNAP benefits to buy:
- Beer, wine, liquor, cigarettes or tobacco
- Any nonfood items such as: pet foods, soaps and paper products, household supplies, and hot foods.
- Energy drinks with nutrition facts are eligible, energy drinks with supplement facts are not eligible.